Sunday, February 14, 2021

Peter Small's Lakebay Special

 Peter Small's  - Lakebay Special -








The Red Special we built for Idaho jewelry artist -  Peter Small many years ago. 

Peter had dropped off an old Scrambler model and asked me to build him a Clubman or Cafe' Special and gave me free hand at designing and building his bike

I could not easily see how to put rear set footrest controls on the scrambler frame, so as I had a nice road frame,  I switched his type /35 bolt together scrambler frame, for a standard RS type frame with rear dampener adjustment slots.  For the rear dampeners I used Works Performance units that were custom ordered to Peters riding style and weight.

The alloy fuel tank was from Peter Kyte sourced from the Velocette Owners Club UK, .& the bikes Smiths instruments and drive gearboxes I had custom made and supplied by Dennis Quinlan 's KTT Services - in Australia.

The custom alloy oil tank, flip-up seat to access the oil tanks top filler, Mikuni carb & manifold, and toolbox were all in my shops used - 'second handy department ', remains of a bike that was built up custom by Bob Strode for the US Velo Club's Canada 'Rain Ride' Rally. These bits were from the bike that Bob rode himself - borrowed from his friend Charley Cravens. Charley did not care for the custom treatment done to his bike by Bob, so Bob stripped off the custom bits , and returned Charley's MSS back to him in stock configuration. All these bits were in the spares stock, when I purchased the Velocette spares and repair business from Bob, when he retired, and moved to Yakima. I used a 'Bates style simple folded stainless steel rear number plate/ stop light holder, and a Honda CR motocross style aftermarket 90 degree alloy throttle housing . Front brake is standard single leading shoe, but I had Bob Strode fabricate up & weld on a massive air scoop to the brake plate, and then I made up a simple lever system with the operating lever reversed & slightly longer.

 Frame and hard parts I had powder coat finished by Ken's Powder Coating in Spanaway Washington, in  ' Little Red Wagon ' bright cherry Red. I had Pete's Autobody Supply in Tacoma custom mix me a quart of Dupont Centari enamel, to match the chassis powder coating, for me to spray the front forks sliders, as the powder coating process can damage the soft solder joints that hold the fork sliders together. 

I set up the engine, gearbox and clutch/ primary drive to standard Venom specs, to make it easier for Peter to do any maintenance , or obtain spare parts, as they were all catalog standard items. 

My friend, and neighbor Geoff Blanthorn, who lives next door, and helps me in the workshop, designed up the spin on oil filter mount bracket. Peter and I both wanted the oil filter to be easy access, and we agreed Geoff's 'KISS' mounting ( Keep It Simple Stupid )  - was perfect fit for the project. The oil filter and filter base I sourced from Williams Oil Filter Service in Tacoma.  

When Peter passed away, his good friend Kevin Neary in Canada bought the bike from his estate - 




No comments:

Post a Comment