Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Dave Landis MSS

 Dave Landis sent over his 1954 MSS project a few years ago, for me to re assemble. He had the powder coating already done, and his project should have been a fairly easy and quick one, but - it didn't quite work out that way. 

Dave had been looking for a Velocette and I suggested a 1954 MSS, as I had talked to the different dealers in the UK , Dodkin's, Seymour's etc, and they all said the same thing - the 1954 MSS was the best all around Velo, and as it was the first year production, all the tooling was still fresh, and the parts fitted better. 

Dave found this bike , sent me photos, and looked great to me - but we found it needed a bit more then planned. 

A couple of images of 1954 MSS  - 

a catalog 'artist deception' and a Lou Branch publicity photo

I have done quite a few Velos, but Dave's MSS will be the first 1954 MSS I have done, and I am bringing it to as 'correct as it left the works' as I can.  

First off was to check out the frame. I like to do them first, as it gives you someplace to start hanging the parts.  On Dave's MSS there were several items to tidy up. The powder coating at the steering head bearings had gotten blistered from heat when changing them, and required sanding out and touching up with a bit of paint. The steering stop stud location had been built up with weld, and needed grinding off and smoothing. 







1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Ed!
    This bike left the factory in 1954 and was shipped to Lou Borgelt, a Velocette Dealer in Adelaide, Australia. In 2006 it found its way to Utah. It has some nice original hard-to-find parts like fenders and the headlight bucket. Looking forward to having it run again!

    ReplyDelete