Thursday, November 16, 2023

Over 250,000 miles -


I stopped tallying up my mileage every year when I finally got over a total of a quarter million miles ridden solely on my 1963 Velocette , purchased in England by Bill Snelling's dad Ted Snelling for me in 1979, originally a Viper - that was converted to a Venom spec 500. Original registration ARF25A -
-
I get asked by customers, how did I get to know Velocette motorcycles so well, and how much do I ride ?
-
I don't ride as often as I use to. I do miss not riding.
- For close to forty years, from my 20s through my 50s, I rode all the time. - so much that, if I never get a chance to ride again, I have put on more miles riding on Velos, then most people have, on any motorcycle.
-
I use to do a quick calculation at the end of every year, and working from home most of the time, I still rode my Velo to visit friends, grocery shopping - etc. Most of the mileage was not on long trips, but just local stuff. Visiting friend in Seattle, 70 miles each way - , Up to visit Bob Strode in Woodinville, about 70 miles each way etc.
-
I lost track of how many 'annual winter rebuilds' the Velo received but there were many. I had two sets of clothes for my bike, a cafe' set up, with low bars, & rear sets, and the set that I used most, was the standard street touring set with the standard forward footrests, and wider chrome mudguards -







No comments:

Post a Comment