Sunday, April 2, 2023

How I Do My Rebuilds

For those that have never restored a bike - The way I do them is :
The first step is to take it all apart, noting any obvious areas
that will need extra attention - then group the parts , am using totes for this current one. Next is the start of the fun - clean and check every part. I usually prep the frame next, powder coating or painting it, so I have someplace to start mounting the parts on. Then make every part look like new - or better then new. Polishing all the alloy, sending out the chrome, getting fasteners replated, The restoration re-assembly is exactly like building a giant 1 : 1 full size scale model - but is one that you can actually ride when you are finished !
These photos are of a Thruxton replica I did- which is a Venom that I kitted out with all the special Thruxton parts , like the big valve head, shorter barrel, special cam followers, carb and manifold to suit the head, special oil and fuel tanks -
This one was used as a regular rider by Bill Maxell , up here in the Pacific Northwest ( Seattle area ), for about ten years - . After each ride he would spend many hours cleaning and detailing it out and kept it in ' as new ' shape. It was not a ' trailer queen ' . He said during those years, the bike never broke down or needed anything, other then the usual oil changes and regular maintenance -
I didn't do anything special , other then very careful assembly to original specs. -

I will be using this opportunity, & add the two Thruxton replica projects - one for Bill Collings daughter in Austin Texas, and the other for Kevin Neary, into this group of bikes as they all will be nearly identical. Also photographing the parts to be used as art subjects as I still want to do an illustrated spares book for the Thruxton models. Lots of fun times ahead ! 🙂



 


No comments:

Post a Comment